That brings up a different subject - weight distribution. I was able to tell if a 50-lb bag of snow chains was in the rear or on the floor of front passenger seat; ever since I try to move as much gear as I can towards the center of the wheelbase.Over the rear axle:
- Greg Davis bumper ~80-100 lbs
- custom swingaway ~40 lbs
- 45L water tank. 96 lbs
- Alloy rack. 80 lbs (thank god I traded in the BajaRack for a Frontrunner)
- Steel sliders. ~80 lbs?
- Fridge/slide ~70 pounds
- spare parts ~30 lbs
- Camping gear and tools. Who knows... 100 lbs?
- Rear seats deleted.. saves me 80 lbs
- alloy gas tank skid ~30 lbs
- 1 gal motor oil, 1 gal trans fluid, 2 gal distilled water, quart gear oil, gal of white gas, pint brake fluid, pint p/s fluid... etc
- 24+ cans of beer!
Found it is a lot easier in a LWB Classic than in a D1/D2, but the same concept holds.
Are you driving the truck with full-sized rear passengers a lot?