manifold to y-pipe stup options

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
On a D2 is there any other option for the manifold to y-pipe studs? Could I put bolts in instead? Those studs are a PIA and a bolt seems so much easier. If this is the stupidest idea ever please let me know!

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
Bolts drilled and safety wired. A pita but keeps it from coming loose. Just use tons of antiseize on them. Oh and don't use crappy hardened bolts that will break off and shatter. I used Allen head bolts and they seemed to work pretty well.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
so....drill out existing holes and use a bolt and nut? or could I use the existing threads and just tighten the bolt in it?

I did this in my D1. No problems. Maybe use socket cap screws as the head is a smaller diameter. And use the all metal lock nuts, no nylocks.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
got it thanks....

You think a Home Depot/Lowes place would have what I need? Maybe in the "specialty" hardware section.
Home Depot sucks balls. Lowes might have it. Smaller places like Ace sometimes have better stock, too. Otherwise there's always McMaster.

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Are your studs broken? If not, they are much easier to use than putting nuts and bolts in place. Think how much of a pain in the ass it will be to hold the nut with a wrench while you tighten the bolt. I would just replace any broken studs, or buy some used manifolds, and use new nuts. Do not reuse the old nuts, they will loosen over time. The new nuts are redesigned as of about a year ago or so.

Keanan

Apr 15, 2010
Redlands, CA
I think it is better to use factory hardware. Use tons of antisieze. If you ever have to take things apart run them through a tap & die before putting them back together.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I replace the studs and nuts with factory hardware any time I take them apart . If you run the stud in and snug it , then blast the new nut on . It seems to stay tight . The factory nut is oval shaped to clamp better to the threads .

Leadvagas

Jun 10, 2010
Leadville CO
Ok, just a few thoughts. You might try brass nuts, you can split them off pretty easily and they are good to over 1k degrees. Or get A&N grade high temp hard ware.