Disco smashed a dually

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
I was mid way through an intersection yesterday when a full size dually waiting to make a right-hand red-light turn cuts me off. I lay on the horn, but he doesn't like being called out, so he slams the brakes to a complete stop to make a point of it. At that point I'm not sure any brake tech could have prevented the resulting collision.

The douchebag didn't expect a rover to fuck up his "big rig" as bad as it did. His hitch and rear end was mashed good.

Drove away thanks to the TR bumper.

DSC01855.jpg

Much of impact was absorbed by bumper rotating up
DSC01856.jpg

Passenger side got the worst of it. Quarter panel smashed by bull bar.
DSC01857.jpg

Might need to re-align those lights
DSC01858.jpg

This spot hit hard
DSC01859.jpg

DSC01860.jpg

DSC01861.jpg

Winch pushed into custom grill
DSC01862.jpg

Bumper mount bent. Frame looks ok. 5/16 plate steering guard may have helped.
DSC01863.jpg

DSC01864.jpg

DSC01865.jpg

Most concerning so far. Passenger door doesn't line up.
DSC01866.jpg

Last edited:

MM3846

Feb 18, 2014
LI, NY
Damn dude, that sucks. That's a total loss, though. Can't believe how well the truck held up, looks like a hard fucking hit.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Sorry to see that shit. Was that one of those Saudi grills. Hope he had to tow his shit away.You gotta see if there was any witnesses that saw him brake check you. Show up to court and make the fucker squirm a little. Even if you just keep fighting it to stall him from getting any money out of your insurance. People who would brake check somebody like that are dicks.

But you did find the crumple zone in your Disco. Your Disco just uses what ever it hits for a crumple zone.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Not a Saudi grill, just home made for winch access. Other than my passenger no witnesses stopped . He's already trying to spin the story to insurance. Might be my word against his. Not looking good.

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
Not a Saudi grill, just home made for winch access. Other than my passenger no witnesses stopped . He's already trying to spin the story to insurance. Might be my word against his. Not looking good.

Well its two people to one. Your passenger is a great witness. You just wan't to stall this shit to fuck him back. See as long as your fighting him he won't get shit. That"s my favorite part. HE WON'T GET SHIT. Trust me, all you gotta do is tell your ins. not to pay the fucker and they wont. If he would brake check you don't you think he's probably got a shitty driving record? Or worse? Start diggging up shit on the guy, see who your dealing with.Then decide.

CRB357

May 10, 2015
South
Sorry for your loss. Glad you and your passenger were not injured. You could make a nice rat rig out it with no doors for care free hard core wheeling.

fishEH

Jan 26, 2009
Lake Villa, IL
I wonder if having the 3rd bolt (like D1's are supposed to) in the front bumper would have prevented a lot of your damage?

And where's the pics of the other truck! ??

MM3846

Feb 18, 2014
LI, NY
Well its two people to one. Your passenger is a great witness. You just wan't to stall this shit to fuck him back. See as long as your fighting him he won't get shit. That"s my favorite part. HE WON'T GET SHIT. Trust me, all you gotta do is tell your ins. not to pay the fucker and they wont. If he would brake check you don't you think he's probably got a shitty driving record? Or worse? Start diggging up shit on the guy, see who your dealing with.Then decide.

x2

discostew

Sep 14, 2010
Northern Illinois
I wonder if having the 3rd bolt (like D1's are supposed to) in the front bumper would have prevented a lot of your damage?

I would really like to see some pics. of the other truck. I'm always amazed how someone would get rear ended in these trucks and need a bumper but the other car was a total loss. The way these trucks take a hit is the reason I put my wife and kids in one the first time in 1999.

When I hit a deer I never saw the thing. it was dusk and he was hauling ass. Never even got off the gas pedal at 70 mph. I remember the slow motion image of that thing getting punted off the front of my Disco. The worst part about my damage was having to cut out a core support from my parts truck and welding that in place. Your damage isn't that bad. I think you could get most of that sheet metal back to straight. Maybe the hood needs replaced cause I need a perfect hood, its the part I see most.

you mentioned that he had his hitch all fucked up. In Illinois the law was changed recently to state that the reciever and tow ball must be removed when not in use. Check your state law about that. I know a lot of people leave them back there to do more damage to a car that rear ends them. I think him having the receiver in AND brake checking you would not play well in Illinois

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Don't have any photos of the other truck. Should have. Was ill, shaken, and had places to be.

This is close to what it looked like though:
dually.jpg

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
When I hit a deer I never saw the thing. it was dusk and he was hauling ass. Never even got off the gas pedal at 70 mph. I remember the slow motion image of that thing getting punted off the front of my Disco. The worst part about my damage was having to cut out a core support from my parts truck and welding that in place. Your damage isn't that bad. I think you could get most of that sheet metal back to straight. Maybe the hood needs replaced cause I need a perfect hood, its the part I see most.

In Illinois the law was changed recently to state that the reciever and tow ball must be removed when not in use.

I'd rather have hit a deer and I do have a spare hood.

Good to know about the hitch..

MM3846

Feb 18, 2014
LI, NY
Wow, the bed seriously buckled like that? I can not imagine how that must have felt. Ouch.

ERover82

Nov 26, 2011
Darien Gap
Wow, the bed seriously buckled like that? I can not imagine how that must have felt. Ouch.

Not quite that much. Closest comparison I could find. My right knee bruised from hitting the dash, but that's it. Passenger's knees bruised the same.