Myrtle :: 2001 Land Rover Discovery II SE

JUKE179r

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2016
456
36
Suffolk, UK
I confirmed today my Foxwell NT510 can change the old stored VIN on my SRD500070 SLABS unit to my own NAS SALTY VIN.
I couldn’t do that with my Nanocom.
 

JUKE179r

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2016
456
36
Suffolk, UK
Added a 17" 75lbs prop shaft to the hood/bonnet.
I’m going to add the second gas prop to the opposite side for more stability.



I replaced the stock wussy RH horn with a louder 130db horn. Very easy to do since I reused the original mount hole for the new horn.
Old vs. new...


Mounts perfectly...
 

JUKE179r

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2016
456
36
Suffolk, UK
I redid my dodgy negative battery cable to my battery shut off switch.
Went from a 8AWG to a shorter length and thicker 0AWG with my hydraulic crimper and added a military grade negative post clamp.
It’s been raining so I’ll finish up tomorrow.
 
Last edited:

JUKE179r

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2016
456
36
Suffolk, UK
I cut off another 1.5” of the newly constructed negative battery cable so it will fit better to the battery disconnect switch.



Next up is to install the CARRS4x4 air intake tube since my original tube is nackered...
 

JUKE179r

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2016
456
36
Suffolk, UK
Since it semi cleared up today from rain, I finally installed the CARRS4x4 intake tube.
Extremely easy to replace. The only irritating part I found was removing the old worn foam adhesive from my intake fender elbow. I found it easier to soak it in hot water with a dash of dish wash soap. I rubbed away the old foam, dried it with a paper towel and added the beefier red gasket.
It looks great and I’m finally rid of the torn apart rats nest. Lol







I’ve been wanting to replace both stripped plastic nuts that hold the fender elbow in place. I might replace it with nutserts and bolts when I break down and get a nutsert kit.
 

JUKE179r

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2016
456
36
Suffolk, UK
Today from inside my warm house I looked at Myrtle with disgust parked in my car port.
For the past month she's had electrical problems popping fuse F2 in the V8 engine bay with 11 fault codes. I have been troubleshooting but I can't pinpoint the problem.
It's time to turn it over to a professional to sort out.
 

Deodra

New member
Sep 15, 2019
1
0
Santa Claus, IN
Today from inside my warm house I looked at Myrtle with disgust parked in my car port.
For the past month she's had electrical problems popping fuse F2 in the V8 engine bay with 11 fault codes. I have been troubleshooting but I can't pinpoint the problem.
It's time to turn it over to a professional to sort out.
Crap! I hope it gets sorted soon!
 

JUKE179r

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2016
456
36
Suffolk, UK
Got the engine’s 15A F2 fuse popping sorted. It was the purge valve solenoid!

Today I did my 5K mile Air filter, engine oil filter and oil change.
I finally got to check the magnetic oil sump plug I installed on my last oil change. It had a little bit of sludge (my 2020 word of the year. Lol) at the magnetic end of it but I didn’t feel any solid metal chunks in the sludge.




 

JUKE179r

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2016
456
36
Suffolk, UK
I received messages on other LR forums asking about installing a Discovery 3 (or an LR3 for our NAS brethren) auto gear shift lever so here are the pics between the Disco 2 vs. Disco 3/LR3 handles. I used a rat tail file to file down and curve off the Disco 3 handle tip from 7.02mm down to 4.04mm like on the Disco 2 handle tip.
Here is the YouTube video on how to do this for that bit of bling bling...


221C65EB-C817-49C0-8023-B4B611FCF23B.jpeg

3F22043A-2AE6-4F2B-ABE8-11B6073EDB60.jpeg

95B1EC43-7B16-4F40-B7F1-F1CDE8A52500.jpeg

27EB44EF-CB77-4B91-98A2-2CDA6E34DA64.jpeg
 

JUKE179r

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2016
456
36
Suffolk, UK
Installed a new Saab vacuum connector onto the IM. It was $15 cheaper than the Land Rover part and had the same dimensions.

59A7E9D2-9B02-4FA9-8180-B51C4E786FC5.jpeg6F320546-949B-4E15-A3C0-AF376A39656E.jpeg
 
Last edited:

JUKE179r

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2016
456
36
Suffolk, UK
I removed the extremely rigid rear OME 763 HD springs and installed a set of MD Terrafirma TF023V +2” springs. I also added the shorter galvanized Disco 1 rear spring plate to give me another +.5" and added the Gwyn Lewis 4x4 Disco 1 rear spring retainers.
Spring retainers are needed when installing the shorter D1 spring plate.







 

JUKE179r

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2016
456
36
Suffolk, UK
I custom built my 10mm Taylor 409 HT leads that were originally for a Mustang, connected them to my new coil packs and added zip tie spacers as a cheap mod.
I tore the #5 cylinder coil pack rubber boot trying to install it so will be ordered next.

05D2718E-8B48-4452-B026-09F8D8ED3C72.jpeg

92EFA43F-D620-414F-8D28-010030B1C075.jpeg

9BA0C455-B942-4845-90B1-3957C2EC095C.jpeg
 

JUKE179r

Well-known member
Sep 14, 2016
456
36
Suffolk, UK
It was too muggy today to fully work on Myrtle. I crimped and heat shrunk 2 each 10AWG grounding cables from the intake manifold and coil pack mount to the 10mm firewall ground bolt.
E23772FA-E9BE-43E8-99B7-124787CE43B6.jpeg